What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Best software/keyboard for beginner

LV'sAndG's
LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
edited January 2011 in Fresh Produce
I'm pretty new at producing hip-hop r&b music but I want to invest some money in some decent software but I have no idea what a legit setup would be for a beginner


my knowledge goes as far as fruity loops

Comments

  • ceegramz
    ceegramz Members Posts: 29
    edited December 2010
    How much you trying to spend fam?
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    ceegramz wrote: »
    How much you trying to spend fam?


    up to a grand but i only want the bare essentials since im still a beginner
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    buy almost any softwear that costs more than 50's, a midi controller, and decent speakers and you have your self a good set up
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    okay, for a keyboard, I would suggest getting a midi controller

    M-Audio makes a 49 key one that u can get for about $100.

    what about software?
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited December 2010
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    what about software?

    get that keyboard


    and

    look at komplete 7. it has EVERSOUND U WILL EVER NEED it has like 24 different kits in it


    and i use miroslav alot. its a orchestral vst good strings etc drumma boi the bizness use it. check out youtube and good stuff u think u might need to here a preview
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    i would say acid is the best... I got acid and I don't really mess with anything else
  • ceegramz
    ceegramz Members Posts: 29
    edited December 2010
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    up to a grand but i only want the bare essentials since im still a beginner

    Ok heres what I reccomend for just starting out:

    1. Reason 5 (free download from a torrent) $0
    2. audio technica ath-m45 headphones $70
    3. krk rokit powered 5 $300/pair
    4. m-audio keyrig 49 usb controller $90
    5. my sample collection............priceless!

    Then when your ready to really get it in you get the new pro tools and rewire your reason to get the best mix.
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    smh @ you telling him to get a cheap pair of headphones

    Mixing out of headphones = LOSS

    Dude if you have enough bread for it, invest in some Studio Monitors and a sub. Software you can always get for free, but mixing is something that is best done from monitors

    how much of difference does it make using head phones instead of speakers?
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    ceegramz wrote: »
    Ok heres what I reccomend for just starting out:

    1. Reason 5 (free download from a torrent) $0
    2. audio technica ath-m45 headphones $70
    3. krk rokit powered 5 $300/pair
    4. m-audio keyrig 49 usb controller $90
    5. my sample collection............priceless!

    Then when your ready to really get it in you get the new pro tools and rewire your reason to get the best mix.

    how easy will it be to use reason without user manuels?
  • ceegramz
    ceegramz Members Posts: 29
    edited December 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    smh @ you telling him to get a cheap pair of headphones

    Mixing out of headphones = LOSS

    Dude if you have enough bread for it, invest in some Studio Monitors and a sub. Software you can always get for free, but mixing is something that is best done from monitors

    damn the 1st time I responded it didnt go thru so let me try again....

    IDK when $70 became cheap. It's 2010 and unless your in a high tax braccet you don't have $ to waste. I know I don't. Inexpensive is the word. They're really good headphones. I can atest to that. Read the reviews. Also I never said to mix using headphones. You do one thing with headphones and one thing only: listen. That's why I said get KRK's. You use the KRK's to monitor the mix. Btw, they respond so good and are so accurate that you don't need a sub. The only reason you would need a sub with KRK's is the same reason you need the headphones - to listen. With that said LV, if you have a grand to spend, use the leftover $ to get a MAC!
  • ceegramz
    ceegramz Members Posts: 29
    edited December 2010
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    how easy will it be to use reason without user manuels?

    Well I'm not the type to read manuals ya dig? If your the type of dude that can figure things out without reading a book than try it out. If not, that's what youtube is for. They have easy tuturials on youtube for reason. Feel me? Honestly, everything is not for everyone. That's why I suggest downloading reason from a torrent. If you don't like it then try another program. Don't get it twisted though, your not going to push our Dre beats overnight on any program. It takes time and practice so if you can't get it down the first few times then try again but don't get discouraged just do like aaliyah said and "dust yourself off and try again" or simple just try another program!
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    ceegramz wrote: »
    Well I'm not the type to read manuals ya dig? If your the type of dude that can figure things out without reading a book than try it out. If not, that's what youtube is for. They have easy tuturials on youtube for reason. Feel me? Honestly, everything is not for everyone. That's why I suggest downloading reason from a torrent. If you don't like it then try another program. Don't get it twisted though, your not going to push our Dre beats overnight on any program. It takes time and practice so if you can't get it down the first few times then try again but don't get discouraged just do like aaliyah said and "dust yourself off and try again" or simple just try another program!

    I feel everything you're saying. I figured out fl studio demo pretty fast without any tutorial so I know i can learn with enough trial and error.

    I've never downloaded using torrents before but I just got utorrent and tried to download reason 5 but I only got a key generator so i'm not sure how to get the actual program itself
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Drgoo0285 wrote: »
    i would say acid is the best... I got acid and I don't really mess with anything else

    c/s, u can get this and soundforge free if u "internet savvy" and be able to do high quality 🤬 if u figure out wat ur doin...
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    c/s, u can get this and soundforge free if u "internet savvy" and be able to do high quality 🤬 if u figure out wat ur doin...

    okay i just downloaded reason 4 (couldnt find a torrent for 5), downloading acid 6 now, and I still need to find the full version of fl studio 9



    which should I start with?
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited December 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    lol @ this guy Downloading 3 DAWS

    ambitious youngster


    haa anything to keep me distracted from studying for finals.

    whats your favorite daw?
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    okay i just downloaded reason 4 (couldnt find a torrent for 5), downloading acid 6 now, and I still need to find the full version of fl studio 9



    which should I start with?

    id start wit acid, ive heard reason is quite difficult in the beginning...

    and fl studio is also great, but u might wanna try to find some kits..
  • ceegramz
    ceegramz Members Posts: 29
    edited December 2010
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    I have the Audio technica ATH-M50's, and spent over 150 on them. I dont regret it, but this man has money to spend and we all know Studio Monitors > Studio Phones. None of these people makin professional music mix out of head phones, they dont create the proper environment to make critical mix decisions.

    I agree with you 100%. We're both saying the samething without a doubt. Definitely mix with the monitors and use the headphones to listen
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited December 2010
    Dude said "bare essentials". he just need the basics. Let him upgrade later.

    I like Ceegramz's suggestion best.
  • petercheck
    petercheck Members Posts: 3
    edited December 2010
    Full-motion videos with an on-screen teacher give life to the lessons, and an animated keyboard guides you through 🤬 for the songs and exercises.It can be a bit unnerving, since you can have keyboards just for fun playing, or you can use it for complete music production or for creating fireworks onstage. TypingMaster Pro is a unique touch typing tutor that optimizes training to your personal needs. The Optimal Learning features will substantially accelerate learning and guarantee excellent results.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    what about software?

    try out some trials see what you like best. reaper, fl, ableton, doesn't really matter. as long as you aren't using "super duper music looper xpress" you'll be good. also make sure your programs allows for plugins. stock sounds ain't gonna cut it.

    get some monitors if you got deep pockets, but as a beginner you'll be fine mixing with any decent pair of speakers.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2011
    i made a thread about this before and someone there also mentioned fl studio. so i downloaded the demo and im confued, can u import mp3's or do u have to convert them first or can u import anything at all. i tried watching a tutorial on youtube and the guy was talking way too much and i got bored.