What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

French horror... "High/Haute Tension"

2»

Comments

  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Haha...that movie is now one of my faves. And I was reading up on it. What happened to them is based on actual groups of teenagers in the UK. Even though the events in the movie are highly exaggerated, I guess there does seem to be a problem with "chavs" they call them, and how they cause trouble. Either way the ending to that had me alternately 🤬 off and ready to cry ugh.

    Everything came as a surprise in Eden Lake… I like how they showed her affection with her students in the beginning, and then…well you know!

    **Spoiler

    I never thought the b/f would die though, (or at least like that, without much fight), once he did, I was expecting it to be full on revenge, with her winning. :( **

    You ever hear about “Happy Slaps”, in the UK? Kids are really bold.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    i seen it.... it was messed up how she did the dads head with the dresser on the stairs 🤬 was horrible

    *spoiler

    I love the 🤬 scenes in this movie, how ‘bout that throat slit to the mom!?!
    The barbed wire to the face, and putting the chainsaw to work on that guy @ the end…
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Last House on the Left remake is a good movie, period. What’d you think about Chainsaw remake with Jessica Biel?

    Freddy is one of my favorite villains. I was actually gonna wear a Christmas sweater…just like Freddy, on opening weekend of the re-make. I’m a geek lol, but I can’t help feeling nostalgic, which is probably another reason why people are against remakes…get to attached to childhood memories.

    You know Poltergeist, Child’s Play and Hellraiser are being remade, right? Hellraiser will be directed by the same guy who did Scream (another favorite), and Aja is supposed to remake Maniac – which is the kind of movies that need to be remade, something not so well known. Actually parts of High Tension were inspired by Maniac.

    I’m not a Rob Zombie fan. I liked House of 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects, but I can’t get over that abomination of Halloween - especially II. Saw I, II, and VI are the best of the series imo, but I like them all.

    I’ve never seen the original ‘When a Stranger Calls’. How different is it from the remake?
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman when the real holds you down your supposed to drown right? Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    the first time i watched martyrs with some friends we were sat in silence for at least a good 15 mins after it had ended.i think the sheer brutality of the violence towards women in that film just surprised us all,wasnt anything like i had seen before.Switchblade romance is decent,more slasher kind than straight up horror and it relies too much on the twist.

    Frontiers (another french film) is really something messed up,the french dont mess around when it comes to putting certain kinds of images onto screen,and if you have a strong stomach i recommend it.

    J-Horror has never done anything for me,i mean seriously what the 🤬 are miike takeshis films about? i saw Gozu once and that just left me dumbfounded as to what i was watching,i mean the last scene of that film is one of the GOAT WTF?? moments in film,'the Ring' was great (i remember watching it at like 2 in the morning and when that 🤬 came out the tv i damn near fell out of my bed) but the concept was so good that it was never going to be anything but (which is why the american remake holds up pretty good as well.)One thing i will say about J-Horror is that those films rely on having crazy atmosphere rather than pure scares,something that american horrors just lack completely,you can see whats coming from miles away.

    the best film ive seen in the past few years based on the amount of times it made me jump has to be REC. (remade as Quarantine in the US) man that film is something serious if you have a decent sound system set up.watching it with a group and knowing whats going to happen before everyone else is funny as 🤬 because the jumps in that film really come out of nowhere and people start breaking down in front of you
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    Last House on the Left remake is a good movie, period. What’d you think about Chainsaw remake with Jessica Biel?

    Freddy is one of my favorite villains. I was actually gonna wear a Christmas sweater…just like Freddy, on opening weekend of the re-make. I’m a geek lol, but I can’t help feeling nostalgic, which is probably another reason why people are against remakes…get to attached to childhood memories.

    You know Poltergeist, Child’s Play and Hellraiser are being remade, right? Hellraiser will be directed by the same guy who did Scream (another favorite), and Aja is supposed to remake Maniac – which is the kind of movies that need to be remade, something not so well known. Actually parts of High Tension were inspired by Maniac.

    I’m not a Rob Zombie fan. I liked House of 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects, but I can’t get over that abomination of Halloween - especially II. Saw I, II, and VI are the best of the series imo, but I like them all.

    I’ve never seen the original ‘When a Stranger Calls’. How different is it from the remake?

    Didn't know Child's Play was being remade, but yes to the other two. I don't know, remakes nowadays just make me nervous. Poltergeist is apparently being directed by some Ukrainian so that's good news. At this point I trust foreign horror filmmakers more than I do the American ones. But the writers haven't done anything but Boogeyman which wasn't good at all and that Knowing movie with Nic Cage that I can't seem to force myself to finish.

    I'm already prepared to be let down with the Hellraiser remake. The writer is the same guy who did Jason X, The Messengers, and My 🤬 Valentine. All of which I've seen, and all of which sucked to me.....why'd they have to pick him of all people?? Damn. Why do the studios insist on remaking GOOD movies? Makes no sense. Why not concentrate on remaking the bad ones or the really old ones like in the 30's or 40's? Those could use a remake. They just need to leave well enough alone.


    The remake of When A Stranger Calls is exceedingly bad. It takes the first 15 minutes of the original and expands it into a 90 minute movie. The films are like night and day. The original follows the girl from her teenage years all the way into adulthood after she gets married and has a family. The remake centers on just that one night. Why they didn't follow the original storyline I don't know.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Knowing started out pretty good, the last 30 mins or so…was kinda ‘wtf’.
    I don’t know if I’m happy, mad, sad, touched, depressed, or what…idk what to think of the movie

    I was a lil disappointed hearing about the Hellraiser remake…
    but the youth doesn’t know anything about Pinhead!! lol

    Did you like Freddy vs Jason? lol they were supposed to be making a Leprechaun VS Chucky…hahaha!
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    lazypakman wrote: »
    the first time i watched martyrs with some friends we were sat in silence for at least a good 15 mins after it had ended.i think the sheer brutality of the violence towards women in that film just surprised us all,wasnt anything like i had seen before.Switchblade romance is decent,more slasher kind than straight up horror and it relies too much on the twist.

    Frontiers (another french film) is really something messed up,the french dont mess around when it comes to putting certain kinds of images onto screen,and if you have a strong stomach i recommend it.

    J-Horror has never done anything for me,i mean seriously what the 🤬 are miike takeshis films about? i saw Gozu once and that just left me dumbfounded as to what i was watching,i mean the last scene of that film is one of the GOAT WTF?? moments in film,'the Ring' was great (i remember watching it at like 2 in the morning and when that 🤬 came out the tv i damn near fell out of my bed) but the concept was so good that it was never going to be anything but (which is why the american remake holds up pretty good as well.)One thing i will say about J-Horror is that those films rely on having crazy atmosphere rather than pure scares,something that american horrors just lack completely,you can see whats coming from miles away.

    the best film ive seen in the past few years based on the amount of times it made me jump has to be REC. (remade as Quarantine in the US) man that film is something serious if you have a decent sound system set up.watching it with a group and knowing whats going to happen before everyone else is funny as 🤬 because the jumps in that film really come out of nowhere and people start breaking down in front of you

    I had to Google ‘Switchblade Romance’…had no idea that was the UK title. I wonder why they needed to change it. Anyway, good review, I’m really looking forward to Martyrs.

    Frontiers…I just saw images from this film…looks good. I was looking up info on this movie, and found this article on the New wave of French horror, it listed the 8 most disturbing films, and Frontiers was #4. Hope it’s as good as it looks…

    I’ve never been that intrigued by Japanese/Asian Horror either. I have a friend who loves Asian cinema, so I’ve seen bits of ‘Gozu’, lol…probably the strangest movie I’ve ever watched. I’m not familiar with the director, but I know he did ‘Audition’, which is another one on my list.

    I’ve never seen REC. I thought Quarantine was pretty solid, in fact I loved it. So I just never got around to watching the original.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanMembers Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    ...Aja is supposed to remake Maniac – which is the kind of movies that need to be remade, something not so well known. Actually parts of High Tension were inspired by Maniac.

    i couldn't disagree more, i'm all for horror remakes and i usually enjoy them but Maniac is the exact kind of movie that does NOT need to be remade. i'd love to hear any kind of logic behind why you think this is the kind of movie that needs to be re-made. it's a 1-of-a-kind cult classic that can never be recreated. Joe Spinell is rolling in his grave right now.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    Knowing started out pretty good, the last 30 mins or so…was kinda ‘wtf’.
    I don’t know if I’m happy, mad, sad, touched, depressed, or what…idk what to think of the movie

    I was a lil disappointed hearing about the Hellraiser remake…
    but the youth doesn’t know anything about Pinhead!! lol

    Did you like Freddy vs Jason? lol they were supposed to be making a Leprechaun VS Chucky…hahaha!

    Own the DVD. I love Freddy Krueger. He's on my desktop, I got the t-shirt, and I have parts 1,2,3, and 5 of NOES, Wes Craven's new nightmare (which sucked!), and F vs. J.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    reaperbong wrote: »
    i couldn't disagree more, i'm all for horror remakes and i usually enjoy them but Maniac is the exact kind of movie that does NOT need to be remade. i'd love to hear any kind of logic behind why you think this is the kind of movie that needs to be re-made. it's a 1-of-a-kind cult classic that can never be recreated. Joe Spinell is rolling in his grave right now.

    In a nutshell....I just think it can be improved.

    Joe Spinell was amazing. His charisma would be impossible to top.

    I loved Maniac, so this isn’t an insult. The story was awesome, but the movie itself could be so much better. It’s 1-of-a-kind, for its time; and I love it for what it is…but it’s flawed. I don’t think an upgrade would be such a bad thing. If there’s a horror movie that deserves the attention, then Maniac is a solid candidate. Aja has the potential, and passion of the old slashers, to do it justice.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    Last House on the Left remake is a good movie, period. What’d you think about Chainsaw remake with Jessica Biel?

    Freddy is one of my favorite villains. I was actually gonna wear a Christmas sweater…just like Freddy, on opening weekend of the re-make. I’m a geek lol, but I can’t help feeling nostalgic, which is probably another reason why people are against remakes…get to attached to childhood memories.

    You know Poltergeist, Child’s Play and Hellraiser are being remade, right? Hellraiser will be directed by the same guy who did Scream (another favorite), and Aja is supposed to remake Maniac – which is the kind of movies that need to be remade, something not so well known. Actually parts of High Tension were inspired by Maniac.

    I’m not a Rob Zombie fan. I liked House of 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects, but I can’t get over that abomination of Halloween - especially II. Saw I, II, and VI are the best of the series imo, but I like them all.

    I’ve never seen the original ‘When a Stranger Calls’. How different is it from the remake?

    see now hellraiser is perfect candidate for a remake because the storyline was creative but dam those 80's special effects smh. but if they 🤬 it up i will be 🤬 .
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Dawn of the dead remake is one of the few horror remakes that I liked and just so happens to be my favorite horror movie of all time,imo it actually surpassed the more comedic original by romero. I liked the Texas chainsaw remake and the sequel as well.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanMembers Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    In a nutshell....I just think it can be improved.

    Joe Spinell was amazing. His charisma would be impossible to top.

    I loved Maniac, so this isn’t an insult. The story was awesome, but the movie itself could be so much better. It’s 1-of-a-kind, for its time; and I love it for what it is…but it’s flawed. I don’t think an upgrade would be such a bad thing. If there’s a horror movie that deserves the attention, then Maniac is a solid candidate. Aja has the potential, and passion of the old slashers, to do it justice.

    ok i agree with the bolded, his THHE remake was amazing and High Tension is one of my favorite movies ever. that said, Maniac is still perfect to me, the Savini gore effects are timeless and look better than most everything you see these days. i would shutter to think what could become of this if directed by someone other than Aja but since he's the one doing it it's cool with me, thankfully.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    see now hellraiser is perfect candidate for a remake because the storyline was creative but dam those 80's special effects smh. but if they 🤬 it up i will be 🤬 .

    I agree, I think the remake has potential. The dialogue in the original kinda sucks & the effects need a makeover lol. I’m all for it, if the rumors of a PG13 teen-friendly version are false. btw, did you see images of the new pinhead they’re working on?
    Dawn of the dead remake is one of the few horror remakes that I liked and just so happens to be my favorite horror movie of all time,imo it actually surpassed the more comedic original by romero. I liked the Texas chainsaw remake and the sequel as well.

    DotD remake worked flawlessly. The opening was insane, and I prefer it over the original. I also really liked the TCM remake. TCM: The Beginning – I actually don’t remember to well…I just know I didn’t want a backstory on leatherface lol. He uses a chainsaw because… he just does!
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    reaperbong wrote: »
    ok i agree with the bolded, his THHE remake was amazing and High Tension is one of my favorite movies ever. that said, Maniac is still perfect to me, the Savini gore effects are timeless and look better than most everything you see these days. i would shutter to think what could become of this if directed by someone other than Aja but since he's the one doing it it's cool with me, thankfully.

    I know Maniac has a lil cult following, it's one of my favorite horrors. The movie is unappreciated, and Savini’s work is great as always (that’s not my gripe). I think a lil tweaking with the plot holes could make this better. I don’t think it will diminish the original, it will enhance it… (hopefully). Now they just need an actor to pull off that sweaty-sleazy kind of role. Any ideas? Powers Boothe, maybe?
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanMembers Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »
    I know Maniac has a lil cult following, it's one of my favorite horrors. The movie is unappreciated, and Savini’s work is great as always (that’s not my gripe). I think a lil tweaking with the plot holes could make this better. I don’t think it will diminish the original, it will enhance it… (hopefully). Now they just need an actor to pull off that sweaty-sleazy kind of role. Any ideas? Powers Boothe, maybe?

    i don't know many no-name actors but Benicio Del Toro would be classic in this role.. Maniac was big when it came out it had the controversial buzz behind it due to the poster. i'm sure you got the DVD though, the special feature documentary on that is great.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sdca wrote: »



    DotD remake worked flawlessly. The opening was insane, and I prefer it over the original. I also really liked the TCM remake. TCM: The Beginning – I actually don’t remember to well…I just know I didn’t want a backstory on leatherface lol. He uses a chainsaw because… he just does!

    Which movie do u think had the better opening scene DOTD remake or 28weeks later sequel?

    TCM:the beginning backstory wasnt too bad they kept it short & simple and not drawn out like rob zobies holloween. It was pretty much the same movie as the first remake with some nice highlights. Example showing how the old guy ended up in the wheelchair and leather face chasing the girl with the chainsaw under the moonlight(great camera work scene), which I thought was classic.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    ^^ Good comparison. Idk though lol,…I think ‘28 weeks Later’. Probably one of the most intense sequences I’ve seen! The rest of the movie was not as good as that opening scene though.

    I remember something I hated about TCM: TB, was Hoyt’s character. I thought he changed quite a bit from the 1st movie. He had some funny lines, but I don’t know that I like him that way. I liked the part where he was making the boy do the push-ups. Not that I enjoyed watching the torture, I just thought it was well done, in making me sympathize w/ the character…something I don’t usually do in horrors.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    reaperbong wrote: »
    i don't know many no-name actors but Benicio Del Toro would be classic in this role.. Maniac was big when it came out it had the controversial buzz behind it due to the poster. i'm sure you got the DVD though, the special feature documentary on that is great.

    oh man, perfect choice! I could definitely see Benicio in that role

    I have the DVD, but haven't watched it, it's unopened like many of my DVD's...
    For some reason I'm never in the mood to watch movies that I own...but always watch em when it's on TV
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    All the movies listed below, are supposedly being remade.
    Some, I think are good candidates for a remake & some that aren't. What do you think?

    Agree with…

    Flowers in the Attic
    horrible movie, needs a new direction
    Fun House
    Eli Roth on the project! Perfect match
    People Under the Stairs
    Fright Night
    Waxwork
    Lifeforce… could be interesting
    Pet Semetary
    it scary then, not sure if it holds up well today
    It ---- How amazing would this be if it was remade into a series on HBO?

    Disagree with:

    POLTERGEIST
    100% unnecessary
    Rosemary’s Baby
    untouchable
    The Blob
    I read an article on Rob Zombie’s plans for this remake.
    The Thing
    The Birds
    It’s a Hitchcock masterpiece
    Monster Squad
    this remake is gonna hurt a lil

    …and the ones I’m unsure about are ‘Re-Animator’, ‘Candyman’, and ‘The Fly’
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanMembers Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Pet Semetary could be amazing if done right, the book is so much better than the original movie they dropped the ball with the first movie it really sucks.

    **Spoilers**
    they have to keep the same dialog from the kid that's the best part of the book they basically cut out the whole idea there was anything deeper about the kid after coming back to life - yea he was 'bad' or whatever in the movie but not truly something evil you have to get the sense it's a demon with otherworldly knowledge and 🤬 .. that ties into the other backstory that they never used in the movie. if the remake is rated less than a hard R it'll be garbage.
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Good points. They definitely need to stay true to the book (Judd’s wife, Wendigo), because imo it’s one of King’s best, and King actually wrote the script for this movie! What happened? I remember this being one of the creepiest movies I’ve seen, it just doesn’t hold well today, it's awful. ok…Zelda is still scary, but other than that…it needs some work!

    I read something a while ago, about George Clooney possibly being cast...
    I doubt it though....