What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The Chronic Vs Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

13

Comments

  • supergangstersupergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    I think Only Built For Cuban is the real defition of Mafioso rap. That's why I pick OB4CL.
    Both are great albums.
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    Stew wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Man I haven't heard the chronic in over 14yrs but I'll grab that purple tape in a heart beat

    This. As good as the Chronic is, you don't really even hear anybody talking about it like that anymore.

    So people are talkin about OB4CL and not one of the most influential albums ever? Oh

    Yeah, I hear people talk more about OB4CL than the Chronic.

    And I think people are overrating how influential the Chronic was. It laid the Blueprint for West Coast Rap. That's big, but that's about all it did. I'd say OB4CL was more influential. You can name more big named artists and albums that borrowed from it than you can for the Chronic. I can't say OB4CL invented the whole drug/mafioso rap motif since Kool G Rap is really the one to thank for that, but OB4CL sure as hell breathed life into and made it something everyone from the East was trying to bite for a while.

    So what u saying is OB4CL changed the game more than The Chronic did?

    I don't see where the Chronic changed the game all that much. I agree it may have seemed like it changed the game since most West Coast rap that came out after it had a similar sound, but I think that was more because Dre or one of his proteges had a hand in the vast majority of West Coast rap at the time. So of course it would all sound similar. That said, the Bay Area's rap sounds nothing like the Chronic and never has, so even on the same coast the Chronic's influence is limited.

    Now look at OB4CL. You still got albums where cats are trying to use scarface samples as the blueprint for their album or giving everyone on the album a different nickname. The album is the reason why all these cats run around calling themselves dons/mafiosos/gambinos etc... And the funny thing is, that's not even what the album was about. People just took something superficial from the album and ran with it.
    Stew wrote: »
    Lmao one cat says OB4CL "breathed life into Mafiaso Rap" another cat says Biggie created Mafiaso Rap.

    U 🤬 need to make up your mind

    Only a person who just started listening to rap when Biggie dropped would claim he created Mafiaso Rap. OB4CL as seen as the pinnacle of that subgenre but you can't even say Rae created it.

  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    In The Death Row vs Wu Tang Thread Death Row was winning 40-38

    But in this poll Only Built For Cuban Linx won 28-22
  • caddo mancaddo man Failure is success in progress! Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    In a landslide. OB4CL was goat but come on man. U cant be serious w/this 🤬

    This clearly an East Coast bias poll!

    Wikipedia
    n 1994, "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" and "Let Me Ride" were nominated at the 36th Grammy Awards, with the latter winning Best Rap Solo Performance for Dr. Dre.[28] That year, readers of Hip Hop Connection voted it the fourth best album of all time, leading the magazine to speculate, "In a few years' time, it could even be remembered as the best rap album of all time."[44]

    The Chronic was included in Vibe magazine's list of the 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century,[45] and the magazine later included it in their list of the Top 10 Rap Albums of All Time, dubbing it a "decade-defining opus".[46] The record was ranked eighth in Spin magazine's "90 Greatest Albums of the '90s",[47] and in 2005, it was ranked at number thirty-five in their list of the "100 Greatest Albums, 1985–2005".[48] Rolling Stone ranked The Chronic at number 138 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[43] In 2005, MTV Networks listed The Chronic as the third greatest hip hop album in history.[49] The following year, Time magazine named it as one of "The All-Time 100 Albums".[29] In a retrospective issue, XXL magazine awarded The Chronic a perfect "XXL" rating.[50] The Source, who originally gave the album a rating of 4.5 out of 5 mics in 1993, would later include it in their list of the 100 Best Rap Albums; in 2008, the magazine's former editor Reginald Dennis remarked that he "would have given it a five" in retrospect—the magazine's editors had a strict rule forbidding five-mic ratings at the time—and that "no one could have predicted the seismic shift that this album would produce".[51] The Chronic is listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.[52]


    As of 2015, the album has sold 5.7 million copies in the United States,[3] and was certified Triple Platinum by RIAA on November 3, 1993.[53] It is Dr. Dre's second-bestselling album, as his follow-up album, 2001, was certified sextuple Platinum.[54] The album first appeared on music charts in 1993, peaking on the Billboard 200 at number three, and peaking on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums at number one.[55] The Chronic spent eight months in the Billboard Top 10.[56] The album's three singles became top ten Billboard singles.[57] "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and at number one on both the Hot Rap Singles and Hot R&B Singles charts.[57] "🤬 Wit Dre Day (And Everybody's Celebratin')" became a top ten single on four different charts, including the Hot R&B Singles (number 6) and the Hot 100 (number 8).[57]

    The Chronic didn't chart on the UK Albums Chart until 2000, eight years after its original release, and peaked at number 43 in July 2004. It has sold 260,814 copies there.[58] The Chronic re-entered the charts in 2003, peaking on the Ireland Albums Top 75 at number 48, and on the UK Albums Top 75 in 2004 at number 43.[59]

    The Chronic changed your life when it came out. I smoked my first blunt to it.

    The IC is the only place where Wu Tang had more influence than Death Row and the OB4CL is a better album.

    Next we gone have a debate that BigL was a bigger force in Hip Hop than E40.
  • Lefty_Lefty_ The Ayatollah Of Baking Soda Pullin Up.....Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    No it didn't
  • R2_163R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the greatest rap album ever had a ranking Ob4cl is either
    1
    1b
    Or 2
  • optimisticoptimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?
  • Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Puget SoundMembers Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:

    While The Chronic was a game changer, there are at least a dozen other albums that were also game changers.

    Saying The Chronic is the greatest album of all time because it was a game changer is like saying The 89/90 Detroit Pistons are the greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA because they won back to back championships. Or saying Troy Aikman is the greatest quarterback of all time because he won 3 Superbowls. Its faulty logic and it just isn't true.

    Again, there have been dozens of Hip Hop albums that were game changers
  • R2_163R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    In a landslide. OB4CL was goat but come on man. U cant be serious w/this 🤬

    You do realize that "goat" means greatest of all time?

    GOAT for the EAST COAST which wasnt saying much for that time period. OB4CL was the best non biggie album to come from the east. Lets be honest outside of biggie's first album and wu tangs first album there was nobody on the east coast was worth listening to until DMX dropped. And then to compare it to maybe the best rap album ever made is a joke. U cant be serious w/this 🤬

    Nonsense, there was so much stuff coming out of the East coast that people weren't even buying albums, they were buying mixtapes.

    Pete Rock and CL Smooth
    Digable Planets
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Gang Starr
    Leaders of the New School
    Redman
    Erick Sermon
    Keith Murray
    Blahzay Blahzay
    The Fugees
    Wu Tang (Method Man, Old 🤬 Bastard, Raekwon, GZA, Ghostface)
    The Gravediggaz
    Notorious BIG
    Craig Mack
    Lost Boys
    De La Soul
    Black Moon
    Smiff N Wesson
    Originoo Gunn Clappazz
    Heltah Skeltah
    Nas
    Jay Z
    Mobb Deep
    MOP
    Fat Joe
    Diamond D
    Lord Finesse
    Big L
    O.C
    Organized Konfusion
    Ill Al Skratch
    Group Home
    Jeru The Damaja
    Akinyele
    Brand Nubian

    And that's just from 94-97

    LOL @ "nobody on the east coast was worth listening to until DMX dropped" You must be 16 years old or something to say something that stupid. I can remember circa 94/95 the highlight of any weed session was when somebody went to new York and picked up a mix tape. That mixtape would circulate around campus until somebody bought another one. there was so much stuff out that people weren't buying albums.


    Lol 5 grand went in on that 🤬
  • CapitalBCapitalB all these dollars.. no sense. Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    i dont belong here..
  • sapp08_2001sapp08_2001 #Sawse San DiegoMembers Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    Odd poll. I voted The Chronic because when this album dropped thats when everybody tried to bite the g funk style, birthed Snoop's career, 🤬 was phenomenal. Raekwon album is one of my favorite albums of all time but its not the better album.
  • qawshunqawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    My vote won't change. The chronic didn't affect my ears like the purple tape. I still haven't wanted to go back to that lp. To keep it a buck 🤬 >>> chronic. Imo
  • Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Puget SoundMembers Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The Chronic
    5 Grand wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:

    While The Chronic was a game changer, there are at least a dozen other albums that were also game changers.

    Saying The Chronic is the greatest album of all time because it was a game changer is like saying The 89/90 Detroit Pistons are the greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA because they won back to back championships. Or saying Troy Aikman is the greatest quarterback of all time because he won 3 Superbowls. Its faulty logic and it just isn't true.

    Again, there have been dozens of Hip Hop albums that were game changers

    "I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:" ??? Your logical fallacies are, personal incredulity, special pleading, strawman, burden of proof, anecdotal, false cause and appeal to emotion. While I applaud your attempts it does not change the fact that the Chronic was a game changer for HipHop your acceptance or disbelief does not change the impact it had nor does mine it is what it is...
  • Mister B.Mister B. Still the Devil's #1 Advocate. Come on out that box! Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A more even comparison would’ve been The Chronic vs 36 Chambers....
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    5 Grand wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:

    While The Chronic was a game changer, there are at least a dozen other albums that were also game changers.

    Saying The Chronic is the greatest album of all time because it was a game changer is like saying The 89/90 Detroit Pistons are the greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA because they won back to back championships. Or saying Troy Aikman is the greatest quarterback of all time because he won 3 Superbowls. Its faulty logic and it just isn't true.

    Again, there have been dozens of Hip Hop albums that were game changers

    "I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:" ??? Your logical fallacies are, personal incredulity, special pleading, strawman, burden of proof, anecdotal, false cause and appeal to emotion. While I applaud your attempts it does not change the fact that the Chronic was a game changer for HipHop your acceptance or disbelief does not change the impact it had nor does mine it is what it is...

    The Chronic was a game changer, but you're acting like there aren't a dozen or more albums that were also game changers in Hip Hop history.

    Criminal Minded was a game changer
    Paid In Full was a game changer
    It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back was a game changer

    I could go on
  • Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Puget SoundMembers Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chronic
    5 Grand wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:

    While The Chronic was a game changer, there are at least a dozen other albums that were also game changers.

    Saying The Chronic is the greatest album of all time because it was a game changer is like saying The 89/90 Detroit Pistons are the greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA because they won back to back championships. Or saying Troy Aikman is the greatest quarterback of all time because he won 3 Superbowls. Its faulty logic and it just isn't true.

    Again, there have been dozens of Hip Hop albums that were game changers

    "I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to type:" ??? Your logical fallacies are, personal incredulity, special pleading, strawman, burden of proof, anecdotal, false cause and appeal to emotion. While I applaud your attempts it does not change the fact that the Chronic was a game changer for HipHop your acceptance or disbelief does not change the impact it had nor does mine it is what it is...

    The Chronic was a game changer, but you're acting like there aren't a dozen or more albums that were also game changers in Hip Hop history.

    Criminal Minded was a game changer
    Paid In Full was a game changer
    It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back was a game changer

    I could go on

    Your point being? Chronic being a game changer does not negate any other albums impact again refer to your Logical fallacies list...

    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx

    Your point being? Chronic being a game changer does not negate any other albums impact again refer to your Logical fallacies list...

    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

    My point is that people, not necessarily you, say that The Chronic is the greatest album of all time because it was a game changer.

    Those people must not remember when Run DMC came out. Or Public Enemy, or LL Cool J, or Beastie Boys, or De La Soul, or Tribe Called Quest, or Eric B & Rakim, or 2 Live Crew, or Too $hort. I could go on.


    Honestly, I think people say that The Chronic was the GOAT album because it was a game changer because that's what they've been told. I'd wager that most of the people that feel that way were so young when The Chronic dropped that they don't remember what Hip Hop was like before The Chronic, they just quote what they've heard which is basically hearsay.

    Its a waste of time arguing with somebody that was 8 years old when The Chronic dropped who claims The Chronic was a game changer.
  • king hassanking hassan south side somewhereMembers Posts: 22,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out the impact the Chronic had, it was just a dope album from the west coast talking gangsta 🤬 . Straight Outta Compton was more impactful to me, but hey
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    I'm trying to figure out the impact the Chronic had, it was just a dope album from the west coast talking gangsta 🤬 . Straight Outta Compton was more impactful to me, but hey

    Cosign.

    It was a good album, but it didn't have anywhere near the impact that people are making it out to be.

    Run DMC's first album had 1000X the impact of The Chronic.
  • optimisticoptimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out the impact the Chronic had, it was just a dope album from the west coast talking gangsta 🤬 . Straight Outta Compton was more impactful to me, but hey

    This is what I'm saying.......
  • optimisticoptimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    But none of these things changed the thing called hip hop. Erick Sermon was using funk beats before Dre. Def jam signing Warren G. just meant they hopped on a wave. What's going on in hip hop now that makes you think "the chronic birthed this"?
  • king hassanking hassan south side somewhereMembers Posts: 22,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    optimistic wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

    The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

    What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

    Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

    But none of these things changed the thing called hip hop. Erick Sermon was using funk beats before Dre. Def jam signing Warren G. just meant they hopped on a wave. What's going on in hip hop now that makes you think "the chronic birthed this"?

  • FuckSwedishPeopleFuckSwedishPeople Members Posts: 3
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    OB4CL is the greatest album ever made after The Infamous and Illmatic
Sign In or Register to comment.