What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

College degree: Do you really need it to succeed in today's world?

twatgetta
twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
What does a college degree really mean to you?(if you have one)

How does it help you when the job market for your field is saturated?



«1

Comments

  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Mt. ZionMembers Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Depends on the degree...if you get a Bachelors in social studies and someone gets a bachelors in nursing, obviously career paths will start differently
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniverseMembers Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing you need in life to prosper is have fools a.k.a sheep who would follow you to the edge of the abyss and you have a huge amount of them, you can create your own utopia for you and your descendants.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini When it comes to half the niggas on the IC's kids...I am the father Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    1) Not many fields exist where it doesnt give you an edge

    2) We're in a time where people get GRADUATE degrees online like water

    Yes you need a degree, b/c it will largely determine your ceiling.

    You may not feel it at 25...or at 30...or even at 35...but best believe at some point it will close doors if u dnt have a degree.

    This thread will be full of people sayin they dont need it based on their CURRENT situation, without factoring in future progression.

    I think you're missing the point. I'd say you definitely do not need a degree to succeed in today's world. And this is coming from a 🤬 with a degree.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truck Drivers, Trades (HVAC, Electrical, etc) will always be in demand and don't require a degree, it's about location and motivation among other things
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today is all about who you know
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twinzmom wrote: »
    Today is all about who you know

    I'd rather 'know' a circle of graduates than a circle of those without. No shots, ijs...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.

    you are a network engineer right? which certs did you get.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get a 🤬 degree it can't hurt you only help.
    But don't depend on it alone to bring you success.
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    twinzmom wrote: »
    Today is all about who you know

    I'd rather 'know' a circle of graduates than a circle of those without. No shots, ijs...
    I agree, networking with those who have degrees can be more beneficial
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentMembers Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no but your chances increase significantly... /thread
  • Wild Willie in the A
    Wild Willie in the A Members Posts: 281
    these days I would weigh the cost of getting a degree vs. your earning potential once you receive said degree.... if you going into 30k-40k debt behind a degree that you will only start off making 25k if you are even able to find a job in your field, it wont be worth it.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniverseMembers Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    Just get a 🤬 degree it can't hurt you only help.
    But don't depend on it alone to bring you success.

    Exactly, use your mind and most small business to even coporations that are upstarting are not even degree owners. It's about drive, imagination, planning, critical thinking, intuition, seeing different avenues and etc. If you have those and a good education and always educating yourself, than you don't need a degree, but like zombie said, it can only help you to those who believe a degree makes someone smart. If you are dumb, then yeah you better get yourself a degree or certs.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniverseMembers Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baybey wrote: »
    yes it is important, but today it's about who you know and not what you know.

    It's not 100% accurate, I would say it depends on the circumstances, just like facebook, he knew some people, but he knew how to make it bigger and better on his technical system and testing on what people like and don't like. That's how he was ale to defeat myspace in such a short amount of time.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Eatin pussy and kickin ass Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Degrees are important if you want to get a job that requires a degree

    [/John madden]
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini When it comes to half the niggas on the IC's kids...I am the father Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.

    you are a network engineer right? which certs did you get.
    Ccna ..net plus working on CCNP now ..well kind of
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    zombie wrote: »
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.

    you are a network engineer right? which certs did you get.
    Ccna ..net plus working on CCNP now ..well kind of

    How long it took you to complete the course?
  • Sion
    Sion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Baybey wrote: »
    yes it is important, but today it's about who you know and not what you know.

    It's not 100% accurate, I would say it depends on the circumstances, just like facebook, he knew some people, but he knew how to make it bigger and better on his technical system and testing on what people like and don't like. That's how he was ale to defeat myspace in such a short amount of time.

    Thank you fam, people always say that "who you know/not what you know" 🤬 but don't realize that same mess got the U.S. into one of the most horrific economic collapses on record. You can get into the door based on who you know but if you don't know what you're doing you won't last for long as someone who does and is more passionate will inevitably find you out and replace you (the politics of the workplace is real). You couldn't go into a lot of jobs that deal with capital markets or say medicine if you have ZERO understanding of what it is your doing. Maybe entry level sure.... but not where the big money is. Technology has dumbed down this generation and now the idea of apprenticeship & practice (hard work) has been largely ignored in favor of get rich quick schemes, 15 minutes of fame (social media & reality TV) and people always opting for the easy way out SMMFH.

    Whether it's Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, folks forget they had an intense passion for their work and long knew what it was they wanted to do long before they got into Harvard. MOST people don't know what it is they want to do in life. Now sure Gates & Zuckerberg are inspirations but folks have to realize too what differentiated them from the rest.

    EDIT: my bad on the no-sign laptop slipped up
  • 7figz
    7figz Still don’t nothing move but the money Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the occupation you choose.

    Some occupations require a certain degree, some don't require a degree at all.

    Or in some instances, you can set your own precedent - like starting your own business.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Man 🤬 ya'll for saying this 🤬 . Lmao. Mikey, Purp and I are going to college for nothin?
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need marketable SKILLS. For most, the only way to get them is through college, and I'm not talking about Liberal arts BS either.

    So unless you're could at self-improvement, it's usually needed.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini When it comes to half the niggas on the IC's kids...I am the father Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.

    you are a network engineer right? which certs did you get.
    Ccna ..net plus working on CCNP now ..well kind of

    How long it took you to complete the course?


    Bout a year in the Cisco Academy ...but I went part time...did NA and NP courses but only took CCNA ...gives you a good foundation but once u land that job lol...Smh 🤬 much different
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniverseMembers Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Baybey wrote: »
    yes it is important, but today it's about who you know and not what you know.

    It's not 100% accurate, I would say it depends on the circumstances, just like facebook, he knew some people, but he knew how to make it bigger and better on his technical system and testing on what people like and don't like. That's how he was ale to defeat myspace in such a short amount of time.

    Thank you fam, people always say that "who you know/not what you know" 🤬 but don't realize that same mess got the U.S. into one of the most horrific economic collapses on record. You can get into the door based on who you know but if you don't know what you're doing you won't last for long as someone who does and is more passionate will inevitably find you out and replace you (the politics of the workplace is real). You couldn't go into a lot of jobs that deal with capital markets or say medicine if you have ZERO understanding of what it is your doing. Maybe entry level sure.... but not where the big money is. Technology has dumbed down this generation and now the idea of apprenticeship & practice (hard work) has been largely ignored in favor of get rich quick schemes, 15 minutes of fame (social media & reality TV) and people always opting for the easy way out SMMFH.

    Whether it's Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, folks forget they had an intense passion for their work and long knew what it was they wanted to do long before they got into Harvard. MOST people don't know what it is they want to do in life. Now sure Gates & Zuckerberg are inspirations but folks have to realize too what differentiated them from the rest.

    EDIT: my bad on the no-sign laptop slipped up

    Right, if people only focus on their passion and ideas they think that can benefit humanity and while living in a capitalistic country they can find wealth and create it as well, but you have to be who you are. For example, my Aunt made a lot of money doing hair which she is passionate about, but in daycare she didn't do as well in banking because it wasn't her passion and it started to irritated her. This is some knowledge she passed on to me. Do what you love doing it and it will come naturally.