What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

College degree: Do you really need it to succeed in today's world?

2»

Comments

• MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Bunny Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    I've always worked in the legal field

Getting my degree doubled my salary

so yes it was worth it ....
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityMembers Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MsSouthern wrote: »

what exactly do you do and what degree did you get?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Nothing left to prove Bay Area, CAMembers Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna work in law, sciences, or medicine absolutely.

If not, not really. BUT IF NOT, then know that your best path to success is soaking up all the game with the goal of starting YOUR OWN business.
    It's majority rule in the business world. Most ppl have degrees, most ppl expect you to have one....because they have one. So eventually you're bound to hit a roadblock trying to work within the system in place. Get in, make connections, get things in place, get out, get yours. Nobody questions the bosses educational status if the money's rolling in.
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in certain areas, i don't think a degree is necessary, but you still need to educate yourself in some sort of way. like sion said, you can know the right people, but you still have to know what you're doing and be passionate about it. i want a degree, but i'm not sure in what exactly.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course people 'make it' without,but its all about odds and percentages, and its a fact: college graduates on avg make more in a lifetime. Some say 6x more, some say a cool mill...

So if u have a kid, and he's down for whichever direction u point him, what u gon tell him? 'Chill smarty art lil ngga, u dont need all that'...
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Bunny Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator

I'm a paralegal for the D.A.'s office now ... helping prosecute 🤬 pharmacies and pharmacists.... used to do Family Law for years ... CPS, child support, divorce, wills, etc.....

Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies ... going for my Bachelors next year. Then possibly law school
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityMembers Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a paralegal for the D.A.'s office now ... helping prosecute 🤬 pharmacies and pharmacists.... used to do Family Law for years ... CPS, child support, divorce, wills, etc.....

Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies ... going for my Bachelors next year. Then possibly law school

thinking about law school my self. going for my bachelors now
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not, not really. BUT IF NOT, then know that your best path to success is soaking up all the game with the goal of starting YOUR OWN business. It's majority rule in the business world. Most ppl have degrees, most ppl expect you to have one....because they have one. So eventually you're bound to hit a roadblock trying to work within the system in place. Get in, make connections, get things in place, get out, get yours. Nobody questions the bosses educational status if the money's rolling in.

i've come across so many people who own their own businesses it's ridiculous.
    but i agree with ALL that
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you need is a skill. Find something you're good at, comfortable doing, have a talent for, and make money with it. It's something nobody can take away from you and something you can take anywhere. The degree's come afterwards. Or in some cases, none are needed. But go somewhere to get some form of training to learn something at least.

Nobody cares to pay top dollar for you to do simple 🤬 . You'll be at minimum wage for the rest of your years. High risk should bring high reward. So find you a hustle to marry. Then ride that 🤬 till the wheels fall off and you have walk it like Flintstones.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kzzl wrote: »
    What you need is a skill. Find something you're good at, comfortable doing, have a talent for, and make money with it. It's something nobody can take away from you and something you can take anywhere. The degree's come afterwards. Or in some cases, none are needed. But go somewhere to get some form of training to learn something at least.

Nobody cares to pay top dollar for you to do simple 🤬 . You'll be at minimum wage for the rest of your years. High risk should bring high reward. So find you a hustle to marry. Then ride that 🤬 till the wheels fall off and you have walk it like Flintstones.

I hear you bruh, but wtf does all this mean?

Its inspirational af, but it sounds like a struggle-plan.

Bruh i dont wanna 'hustle', i want a damn career.
  • ChicagoBears
    ChicagoBears Members Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not, not really. BUT IF NOT, then know that your best path to success is soaking up all the game with the goal of starting YOUR OWN business.
    It's majority rule in the business world. Most ppl have degrees, most ppl expect you to have one....because they have one. So eventually you're bound to hit a roadblock trying to work within the system in place. Get in, make connections, get things in place, get out, get yours. Nobody questions the bosses educational status if the money's rolling in.

Don't know how many times I have to drop this tidbit in threads fam..work for a little bit. Getting your knowledge and skills up then bounce, cause guess what excel and powerpoint can only take you so far. Hypothetical DCF models or comps models (finance lingo) don't mean 🤬 ..these are hypothetical excel models. It's good to have that type of knowledge, but if I have two guys in the room and one guy is an investment banker with Harvard degree and the other is a say Temple grad...lol..who started his own business that has profits...of 30 mil a year? Get that Harvard 🤬 out of my face, I'm rocking with the Temple grad. Real world business experience and execution is most important..
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. I don't even have a high school diploma. But I'm CEO of Waynetech.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF THATS A REQUIREMENT FOR THE JOB, OF COURSE....

HELL,THEY DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT MILITARY SERVICE NO MORE LIKE THEY USED TO
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    As many have stated already, a degree is always good to have especially if your field of study warrants u to have one. but its not necessary for every industry. specifically the information technology industry. right now im almost finished obtaining my MCITP certs to be a database administrator. there are 3 middle aged individuals in my class all with MBA's in IT. yet all were unemployed looking for work. thats because none of them are marketable and a majority of companies won't even look in their direction due to alot of the hardware and software they obtained their degrees and training in back in the 80's being anitquated and no longer in use. so it has no value in today's market
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    kzzl wrote: »

I hear you bruh, but wtf does all this mean?

Its inspirational af, but it sounds like a struggle-plan.

Bruh i dont wanna 'hustle', i want a damn career.

Your hustle is whatever you do. Career in computers. Career criminal. It don't matter. Just something to get you some paper.

Not a struggle plan.... well, yeah. It is. Being the best ain't easy. It's hard if you ain't some kind of prodigy. Some sacrifices, some blood, sweat, and pain. Friends, family, lovers. All that gets tested. And then your own will to keep going will be tested as well. You wanna make money like you never did before, you'll have to do 🤬 you never did before. Adjust to unfamiliar circumstances and adapt to change. The struggle gonna get real as 🤬 . Then you gotta stay on top once you make it. That's a struggle in itself in many cases.

College degree or whatever, my point is you've gotta be dedicated to it. Something you feel is worth you giving yourself too. For many it's one of the few things you're gonna be doing for most, if not the rest, of our lives. Make it count.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    I don't have one and I'm an engineer ...I still want one but def not necessary for certain career fields.

you are a network engineer right? which certs did you get.
    Ccna ..net plus working on CCNP now ..well kind of

How long it took you to complete the course?

Bout a year in the Cisco Academy ...but I went part time...did NA and NP courses but only took CCNA ...gives you a good foundation but once u land that job lol...Smh 🤬 much different

im working on CCNA right now. I plan on taking the exam this fall. Is that enough to atleast get my foot in the door?