What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Essay... THERE ARE NO BLACK PEOPLE IN MY YOGA CLASSES AND I'M SUDDENLY FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE WITH IT

13»

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One stew Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    Her article seems well-intentioned. Seems like ppl are being hard on her. And who is to say that she isn't right in what she thought ol girl was thinking? Is it so hard to believe that a big girl in a yoga class for the first time would be self-conscious about her body, and resentful of the skinny women there?

She made it a race thing unnecessarily.

My fat ass would probably feel awkward in a yoga class filled with skinny white women in tiny yoga clothes..there was no need for her to specify that it was a large black woman.

Come on, you're not that naive. Given the obvious racial differences in obesity rates, chances are girl saw the difference between them through a racial lens. So she wouldn't just have been a skinny girl, but a skinny white girl.

Plus for the writer of the article the woman's race would have been salient, especially given the whiteness of her yoga classes.

More white people in the US = more fat white people than fat black people

Obesity rates ≠ raw numbers of fat people.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed a talented one defends all things right white.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny i just read this on Gaf and the reply.. i think i seen the replierer on MSNBC

012913piasideye.jpg
    Hey, Oppressed Person, I feel bad for you but what’s most important right now is that we make it all about Me, even though it is your time of need. How do I know it is your time of need? Why, because you’re not me, of course! You’re you and that is Less Than Me. But I’m thinking of you! So let’s get back to Me and My Thoughts now…

Your experience, if we can possibly set aside the (non-)fan fiction of the imagined mindset of the woman behind you, starts a dialogue; sure. But not every conversation needs to be entertained without you doing some homework on your own first. I am taking the time to write this because as a black woman who shares this space, I won’t stand idly by and watch you use it as a platform to climb to the mountaintop of alleged racial progress by stepping on the humanity of another black woman.

full article

http://www.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-read-an-essay-about-a-white-womans-yoga-class-black-woman-crisis-and-i-cannot
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One stew Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Her article seems well-intentioned. Seems like ppl are being hard on her. And who is to say that she isn't right in what she thought ol girl was thinking? Is it so hard to believe that a big girl in a yoga class for the first time would be self-conscious about her body, and resentful of the skinny women there?

She made it a race thing unnecessarily.

My fat ass would probably feel awkward in a yoga class filled with skinny white women in tiny yoga clothes..there was no need for her to specify that it was a large black woman.

Come on, you're not that naive. Given the obvious racial differences in obesity rates, chances are girl saw the difference between them through a racial lens. So she wouldn't just have been a skinny girl, but a skinny white girl.

Plus for the writer of the article the woman's race would have been salient, especially given the whiteness of her yoga classes.

I can't believe people are getting mad at this. So girl wouldn't have noticed the writer's race? Really?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is perfectly relevant and worthy of a convo have you seen the threads on the daily
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Still Ginny From The Block Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    Im pretty sure this yoga incident never even happened.

True. But that wont stop these dumb-smart folk from over-analyzing and titangrpahin it up tho.

Aint nobody overanalyze...it was analyzed.
  • Kat
    Kat Don't @ Me to Dumb Shit. H-TownMembers Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny i just read this on Gaf and the reply.. i think i seen the replierer on MSNBC

012913piasideye.jpg
    Hey, Oppressed Person, I feel bad for you but what’s most important right now is that we make it all about Me, even though it is your time of need. How do I know it is your time of need? Why, because you’re not me, of course! You’re you and that is Less Than Me. But I’m thinking of you! So let’s get back to Me and My Thoughts now…

Your experience, if we can possibly set aside the (non-)fan fiction of the imagined mindset of the woman behind you, starts a dialogue; sure. But not every conversation needs to be entertained without you doing some homework on your own first. I am taking the time to write this because as a black woman who shares this space, I won’t stand idly by and watch you use it as a platform to climb to the mountaintop of alleged racial progress by stepping on the humanity of another black woman.

full article

http://www.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-read-an-essay-about-a-white-womans-yoga-class-black-woman-crisis-and-i-cannot

lol..got damn..I'd pay to see the discomfort and resentment on her face as she read this textual lashing.

interesting read.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @talentedone say bruh, ima need you to change up that avi tho.

Got me lookin at 🤬 like 'damn, i wrote that?"
  • S2J
    edited January 2014

True. But that wont stop these dumb-smart folk from over-analyzing and titangrpahin it up tho.

Just my opinion, it didnt really deserve analysis in the first place, so anything is overkill.

Aside from her mentioning the word black 2 times, basically she wrote a long winded article on fat people being uncomfortable in the gym
  • obnoxiouslyfresh

Just my opinion, it didnt really deserve analysis in the first place, so anything is overkill.

Aside from her mentioning the word black 2 times, basically she wrote a long winded article on fat people being uncomfortable in the gym

While there's no need to dedicate a department at Cornell to her, the topic is worthy of examination. It was not a piece on fat people. It was a racist projection that culminated in a puddle of privileged tears. Ignorant 🤬 will cape for her if they're too stupid to even realize they're being insulted.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Women are mind readers until they offend someone.
  • FatterThanKat
    Yeah okay.

Why are you so stupid?

You picked the wrong quote and then defended your choice.
    Over the course of the next hour, I watched as her despair turned into resentment and then contempt. I felt it all directed toward me and my body.

That's the one you should have picked.
  • Kat
    Kat Don't @ Me to Dumb Shit. H-TownMembers Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MFer she's insinuating the same damn thing throughout the ENTIRE article, including the portion I quoted.

I mean the general opinion throughout this thread, and from OUTSIDE sources is the same.

🤬 was out of line.

Now, why are YOU so obsessed? Move around.
  • FatterThanKat
  • S2J
    edited January 2014

While there's no need to dedicate a department at Cornell to her, the topic is worthy of examination. It was not a piece on fat people. It was a racist projection that culminated in a puddle of privileged tears. Ignorant 🤬 will cape for her if they're too stupid to even realize they're being insulted.

That cant possibly be aimed at me.

The bytch is beneath analysis. She's not a person in the public eye. She's not a celeb. She didnt write something that "everybody's been thinking about'. It was not thought provoking. It was a less than stunning revelation into the fearful, cowardice, scary hearts of white women.

And trust me I'm the last person to be on some 'oh well, 🤬 happns, who cares'. But THIS 🤬 ? And i read the entire article... When people write dissertations about their inner monologues...and other people react?!?! Thats pathetic. And its a sign of the times.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityMembers Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this three pages. I didn't read someone give me a recap
  • obnoxiouslyfresh

That cant possibly be aimed at me.

The bytch is beneath analysis. She's not a person in the public eye. She's not a celeb. She didnt write something that "everybody's been thinking about'. It was not thought provoking. It was a less than stunning revelation into the fearful, cowardice, scary hearts of white women.

And trust me I'm the last person to be on some 'oh well, 🤬 happns, who cares'. But THIS 🤬 ? And i read the entire article... When people write dissertations about their inner monologues...and other people react?!?! Thats pathetic. And its a sign of the times.

It wasn't, but only hypersensitivity would have you point that out. <<--- That was aimed at you.

The essay was posted on XOJane. A blogsite. Where people submit material that is supposed to solicit responses. That is by design. Henceforth, we are responding. It's really just that simple. You should share your opinion. Or you can continue to discuss with me why discussing this with me is unnecessary. I'll engage with you.
  • FatterThanKat

It was a less than stunning revelation into the fearful, cowardice, scary hearts of white women.

Jen Palochek is not representative of all white people.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Lord High Executioner Members Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fat chicks
  • FatterThanKat
    No fat chicks

award-trophies-trophy2.jpg
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Lord High Executioner Members Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fat chicks

award-trophies-trophy2.jpg

GOAT for the screen name