What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Fair or Foul: Stephen A Smith's Comments About Domestic Violence

11314151719

Comments

  • blackrainblackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    haute wrote: »
    I believe no one should lays hands and have the expectation that no one will hit them back

    But that does not negate that Stephen, a person who is paid to articulate his thoughts like he went to college, instead of a Twitter 🤬 or even worse like some of you, and FAILED at it.

    Forget being articulate, the point is......................is the point getting across, that's all people really want to know:


    If you put hands on anybody..........expect that person to defend/hit back.

    It's that simple.

    And by his own admission his point didn't get across in what he was saying
  • blackrainblackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Trashboat wrote: »
    So he got strawmanned and fired based on it

    Funny

    He's gonna be back on First Take today. That 🤬 didn't get fired
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    If you can't articulate your thoughts

    Then 🤬

    I get what Stephen was saying

    But it was said poorly and thats why it left room for interpretation

    Oh well tough break 🤬

    No it wasnt, what he stated didnt leave room for misinterpretation.
    If you possesed common sense, like i thought you did, then you would of known he articulated himself cleary.
    She took his words, and twisted them. She said, he said things he neither stated or implied.
    And instead of countering her agenda, which he could of simply done, he folded like laundry.
    Its funny how all the men understood exactly what he said. But all the women didnt.
    May be he used to much logic, for the average women.... And not enough irrationality and emotion.


    And if you possessed basic reading comprehension above am 8th grade level

    Not your half assed version of 'common sense'

    You'd get it too

    Words mean things

    So use the right nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives

    And you'll never have to say I'm sorry

    What he said was clear.Only emotional women caught feelings.

    No, whoopi Goldberg stated these sentiments clearly

    The only emotion I see is yours and the other men you lack the most basic reading skills
  • D0wnD0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    If you can't articulate your thoughts

    Then 🤬

    I get what Stephen was saying

    But it was said poorly and thats why it left room for interpretation

    Oh well tough break 🤬

    No it wasnt, what he stated didnt leave room for misinterpretation.
    If you possesed common sense, like i thought you did, then you would of known he articulated himself cleary.
    She took his words, and twisted them. She said, he said things he neither stated or implied.
    And instead of countering her agenda, which he could of simply done, he folded like laundry.
    Its funny how all the men understood exactly what he said. But all the women didnt.
    May be he used to much logic, for the average women.... And not enough irrationality and emotion.


    And if you possessed basic reading comprehension above am 8th grade level

    Not your half assed version of 'common sense'

    You'd get it too

    Words mean things

    So use the right nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives

    And you'll never have to say I'm sorry

    Anyways if thats so, why was he aplogizing for things that he did not imply or stated?


    See this is where that 8th grade reading comprehension is so important

    I have clearly stated that Stephen spoke of the matter poorly and that is why it left room for interpretation

    I also stated I agree with Stephen and his only downfall is talking like an idiot

    And yet here you are in your feelings getting way off topic

    Lemme guess you've let a woman whoop your ass? That is the only logical reason I see to be this irrational with someone who agrees with you.


    Dude, If somebody's apologizing for something they didnt say, then what that person actually said, is not the issue at all.
    Cause if it was, then what the person actually said, would be the topic thats front, and center.. Not some strawman B.S.
    Therefore the misinterpretation claim is void.

    Stephen A took the same stance, on the same topic before. where was his suspension then, where was the misinterpretation then???
    The only difference, is the white damsel in distress.
    Funny, even after Stephen A said what he said, it was buisness as usual until Michelle Beadle's said something. interpretation.
    Some controversy............
  • D0wnD0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    If you can't articulate your thoughts

    Then 🤬

    I get what Stephen was saying

    But it was said poorly and thats why it left room for interpretation

    Oh well tough break 🤬

    No it wasnt, what he stated didnt leave room for misinterpretation.
    If you possesed common sense, like i thought you did, then you would of known he articulated himself cleary.
    She took his words, and twisted them. She said, he said things he neither stated or implied.
    And instead of countering her agenda, which he could of simply done, he folded like laundry.
    Its funny how all the men understood exactly what he said. But all the women didnt.
    May be he used to much logic, for the average women.... And not enough irrationality and emotion.


    And if you possessed basic reading comprehension above am 8th grade level

    Not your half assed version of 'common sense'

    You'd get it too

    Words mean things

    So use the right nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives

    And you'll never have to say I'm sorry

    What he said was clear.Only emotional women caught feelings.

    No, whoopi Goldberg stated these sentiments clearly

    The only emotion I see is yours and the other men you lack the most basic reading skills

    Regardless of how manly Whoppi looks, Whoppi is still a women, a women saying the same exact thing a man said is deemed non threatening. And u know this...
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult

  • CHICAGO_BREEDCHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man they got Stephen A so white washed this morning he cooning so GOTDAMN bad I feel like I'm in the woods. How do you have a white man taking up for native Americans and blacks more than the black man
  • D0wnD0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyways, when will the womenhood start adressing, women on women domestic violence?
    Cause them bull 🤬 be putting the # 's on women.
    They dont play, theyre also waaaaay more agressive, when approaching other women, i wonder if that files under street harrasment????
  • D0wnD0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult
    Hate him, or love him. Stephen A. Is one of the most articulate brothas on t.v. sometimes too articulate, its ESPN, not MSNBC.
    Yet according to you, he dosent speak well enough??... He dosent articulate well enough?? What you want him to do, throw in a Victorian accent??

    Ya peep how she said, he didnt speak like an adult???

    That's the throwing of shade, And belittling, that negroe bed wenches love to pull, on black men. Castrate a brotha, and make him less than a man.
  • D0wnD0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man they got Stephen A so white washed this morning he cooning so GOTDAMN bad I feel like I'm in the woods. How do you have a white man taking up for native Americans and blacks more than the black man

    That 🤬 been a 🤬 .
    I mean they got him tho. Once white folks know they can 🤬 with u, which ever way they want, and all u do is fold like laundry... aw man, all i can say is, they gonna 🤬 with dude again, and it will be worst than this "controversy"
  • mryounggunmryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult

    WTF? 'Speaking like an adult'? What's that even mean, in this context?

    And I've yet to hear a feasible explanation at how any sane, rational person could misconstrue his comments.
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    What he said was clear as 🤬 day. They didn't like what he said and that was the real issue.
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Adults understand that to convey a complete thought you must use the appropriate words, mainly words that make sense

    The topic was domestic violence

    You can not provoke domestic violence

    You can not provoke a man or woman to be an abuser

    You can provoke a violent response when you are assaulting someone

    Again whoopi Goldberg was able to articulate this and not one person called for her job nor was she suspended and there was zero controversy because what she said was true but more importantly coherent


    How Stephen said it was not

    And yes how you say it matters when you tv in front of millions of people

  • mryounggunmryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    Adults understand that to convey a complete thought you must use the appropriate words, mainly words that make sense

    The topic was domestic violence

    You can not provoke domestic violence

    You can not provoke a man or woman to be an abuser

    You can provoke a violent response when you are assaulting someone

    Again whoopi Goldberg was able to articulate this and not one person called for her job nor was she suspended and there was zero controversy because what she said was true but more importantly coherent


    How Stephen said it was not

    And yes how you say it matters when you tv in front of millions of people


    Sure you can. If we are using the actual definition of 'provoke' and not just some 🤬 that we made up that fits this narrative. And there was plenty of controversy when Whoopi made her comments.

    Also, why are we ignoring 50% of his statement. He also said the following, verbatim:

    "we know you have no business putting your hand on a woman"
    "there's never an excuse to put your hand on a woman"
    "we know theyre wrong, we know they're criminal"
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

    "Well if you want to use the actual definitions for things instead of the ones I create for myself and then get mad when no one else uses said made up definition

    I guess your right"


    the 🤬 ?
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult
    Hate him, or love him. Stephen A. Is one of the most articulate brothas on t.v. sometimes too articulate, its ESPN, not MSNBC.
    Yet according to you, he dosent speak well enough??... He dosent articulate well enough?? What you want him to do, throw in a Victorian accent??

    Ya peep how she said, he didnt speak like an adult???

    That's the throwing of shade, And belittling, that negroe bed wenches love to pull, on black men. Castrate a brotha, and make him less than a man.

    You going to far now. SAS is not all that articulate. Dude mostly just rants and raves. And Haute is right. A lot of Beadle's ammunition against him would have been nullified if he had simply made it clear that he was talking about physical provocation and not just a woman doing something a man doesn't like.
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentMembers Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    Adults understand that to convey a complete thought you must use the appropriate words, mainly words that make sense

    The topic was domestic violence

    You can not provoke domestic violence

    You can not provoke a man or woman to be an abuser

    You can provoke a violent response when you are assaulting someone

    Again whoopi Goldberg was able to articulate this and not one person called for her job nor was she suspended and there was zero controversy because what she said was true but more importantly coherent


    How Stephen said it was not

    And yes how you say it matters when you tv in front of millions of people


    The topic was actually Ray Rice. According to numerous accounts his wife was hitting and spitting on him during their altercation. That's the context of the convo so his words make sense.
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The topic was Ray rice being accused of domestic violence based on a video that surfaced from a hotel

    And wether or those accusations were appropriate


    Domestic violence was very much the topic
  • MR.CJMR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    🤬 was gon for a week and came back on the show cooning
  • mryounggunmryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know what that means, Haute. *shrugs*

    I'll assume that's your way or saying 'You win. I'm wrong. Forgive me.'
  • FourEfilFourEfil Members Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.thewrap.com/the-views-whoopi-goldberg-on-nfl-espn-domestic-violence-flap-dont-be-surprised-if-you-hit-a-man-he-hits-you-back/

    ‘The View's’ Whoopi Goldberg on NFL, ESPN Domestic Violence Flap: ‘Don't Be Surprised If You Hit a Man, He Hits You Back’

    Goldberg defends the context in which ESPN's Stephen A. Smith made his original remarks, referencing how the wife of Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice mentioned that she hit him first

    Whoopi supports Stephan
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentMembers Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    The topic was Ray rice being accused of domestic violence based on a video that surfaced from a hotel

    And wether or those accusations were appropriate


    Domestic violence was very much the topic

    but not the narrow definition you tried to apply. Ray Rice is being called a domestic abuser even tho his wife has accepted responsibility along with him in the altercation.
    this context is very important when analyzing what Stephen 🤬 Smith was saying. He was speaking about scenarios similar to the Ray Rice situation where women are initiating physical contact with their significant others.
    Ignoring that context is problematic.
  • 1of11of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    🤬 was gon for a week and came back on the show cooning

    What did he say today that you interpreted as qüünery?
  • blackrainblackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    mryounggun wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult

    WTF? 'Speaking like an adult'? What's that even mean, in this context?

    And I've yet to hear a feasible explanation at how any sane, rational person could misconstrue his comments.

    His comments weren't wrong per say, it was just the wrong time to say it. When he said the same comments damn near verbatim about Chad Johnson's situation nobody batted an eye really. He brought this up when the main point of all the Ray Rice discussion at that moment was Roger Goodell's lack of consistency with his punishments of NFL players. It had nothing to do with Ray Rice's wife and what she did or didn't do. It was 99.9% about Goodell and Stephen A simply picked the wrong moment to make the point he made. It wasn't hard to get, he just 🤬 up in how he got it across.
  • mryounggunmryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackrain wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    You can't be this dense

    I know why there is controversy

    The point is Stephan could have avoided it by speaking like an adult

    WTF? 'Speaking like an adult'? What's that even mean, in this context?

    And I've yet to hear a feasible explanation at how any sane, rational person could misconstrue his comments.

    His comments weren't wrong per say, it was just the wrong time to say it. When he said the same comments damn near verbatim about Chad Johnson's situation nobody batted an eye really. He brought this up when the main point of all the Ray Rice discussion at that moment was Roger Goodell's lack of consistency with his punishments of NFL players. It had nothing to do with Ray Rice's wife and what she did or didn't do. It was 99.9% about Goodell and Stephen A simply picked the wrong moment to make the point he made. It wasn't hard to get, he just 🤬 up in how he got it across.

    I didn't hear a single person mention 'It's the TIMING of the comments that make them problematic.'. No one. People are saying that his comments were problematic. All I can go by is what they actually say.
Sign In or Register to comment.