What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Where Do You Guys Rank Melle Mel?

13»

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionMembers Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kane and G Rap wrote a lot for Shante
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KRS said "Roxanne Shante Is only good for steady 🤬 "

She needed to come back to that line so G Rap did her a favor by writing her verse. That's how I see it.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo, my older brothers and uncles were straight Juice Crew back then....I'm talking 🤬 like the radio dial never touched Kiss and Krs One got no play in the crib, Lines were drawn... But you @5 you forgot The Poet and Noelle Rockwell's Beat You down.... and Kane wrote Have A Nice Day...

Tracklist . A Have A Nice Day
    5:13
    B Have A Nice Day (Dub Instrumental)
    4:24
    Credits

Mastered By– Herb Powers, Jr.*
    Producer, Mixed By, Arranged By, Engineer– Marley Marl
    Written-By– A. Hardy*, M. Williams*
  • 5 Grand
    You're right. I could have sworn it was Kool G Rap.

Kool G Rap wrote "Live On Stage" which had a video and was a pretty decent song.

At the end of the day, Shante had ghostwriters but she had a good voice and when Marley hooked her up with the right beat she made classics.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I should've known this thread would b filled with 🤬 just saying dude better just cuz he came first, him being a pioneer doesn't necessarily mean 🤬 haven't come along and done it way better, lol @ the message.

You're dumb and obviously haven't checked out Melle Mel in his prime.

Mel would put your favorite MC to shame with lyrics that are 20 years older

I'm dumb for disagreeing, 🤬 🤬 have u seen ur threads, u gon 🤬 in the nursin home n slap u til u 🤬 ya diaper, 🤬 gon really act like its not a differences between wat I'm doing(respecting a 🤬 for pioneering) and them (suckin a forefathers 🤬 n/h an actin like he was spitting 🤬 better than nas, jay, or even damn bun b just because his ass came first) yall idiots always acting like someone can't and ain't came along and did 🤬 better, I appreciate bruh pioneering the trail but nowadays them damn raps would probably be Childs play that meek mill could 🤬 out rap.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man only folks who were in their teens or older when hip hop started bumped melle mel
  • 5 Grand
    I should've known this thread would b filled with 🤬 just saying dude better just cuz he came first, him being a pioneer doesn't necessarily mean 🤬 haven't come along and done it way better, lol @ the message.

I'm dumb for disagreeing, 🤬 🤬 have u seen ur threads, u gon 🤬 in the nursin home n slap u til u 🤬 ya diaper, 🤬 gon really act like its not a differences between wat I'm doing(respecting a 🤬 for pioneering) and them (suckin a forefathers 🤬 n/h an actin like he was spitting 🤬 better than nas, jay, or even damn bun b just because his ass came first) yall idiots always acting like someone can't and ain't came along and did 🤬 better, I appreciate bruh pioneering the trail but nowadays them damn raps would probably be Childs play that meek mill could 🤬 out rap.

Dude, if you want to debate you should learn how to write. There's no such word as "u" its spelled Y-O-U. And the word "wat" doesn't exist. It's "W-H-A-T".

You can't even type a proper paragraph so what you have to say is irrelevant.

The Message
    Survival
    New York New York
    White Lines
    Jesse
    Step Off
    Beat Street

^^^ All Classics
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get enough trouble from the real police, so it sucks even more when the spelling and grammar police are on my tail. Lol total irony that this dude is a total idiot trying to talk about, words.
  • Peezy_Jenkins

Dude, if you want to debate you should learn how to write. There's no such word as "u" its spelled Y-O-U. And the word "wat" doesn't exist. It's "W-H-A-T".

The Message
    Survival
    New York New York
    White Lines
    Jesse
    Step Off
    Beat Street

^^^ All Classics

I never said these weren't classics, I'm saying dude pioneered but rap has advanced a long way since then, reading comprehension, ur not too old for it.
  • 5 Grand
    What's the point of an intelligent debate when the person you're debating doesn't observe the rules of grammar and syntax?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic It's not too complicated, but you're gonna need a bulletproof soul The Bay 2 Sin CityMembers Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another overrated pioneer
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Looks like we've got a genius in our presence.
  • 5 Grand

The Message
    Survival
    New York New York
    White Lines
    Jesse
    Step Off
    Beat Street

^^^ All Classics

I never said these weren't classics, I'm saying dude pioneered but rap has advanced a long way since then, reading comprehension, ur not too old for it.

And what I'm saying is that rap HASN'T advanced since then.

Melle Mel laid the blueprint on The Message and Beat Street and that's how guys like Nas, Black Thought and Immortal Technique rhyme nowadays.

I'll even take it a step further and say rap has regressed since The Message and Beat Street
  • 5 Grand
    edited July 2014
    Here's a nice lil joint by Emanon feat Melle Mel, Bronx Style Bob and Afrika Islam. I remember they used to play this on the late night shows in Boston when I was in junior high school. it came out in 1986.

And here's another joint called "The Beach" by Melle Mel, Ice T, Bronx Style Bob and Afrika Islam

• 5 Grand
    Here's a fairly recent freestyle

• 5 Grand

The Message
    Survival
    New York New York
    White Lines
    Jesse
    Step Off
    Beat Street

^^^ All Classics

And what I'm saying is that rap HASN'T advanced since then.

Melle Mel laid the blueprint on The Message and Beat Street and that's how guys like Nas, Black Thought and Immortal Technique rhyme nowadays.

I'll even take it a step further and say rap has regressed since The Message and Beat Street

Im in here soaking up all kinda knowledge about the father Melle mel but to say rap hasn't grown at all...since beat street....

U buggin

You'd be shocked if you knew the state of Hip Hop in the early 80s. It happened so fast that corporate America couldn't keep up. Listen to what Melle Mel was rapping about in Beat Street. Then consider that it was a full length movie.

I'll concede that there's MORE rap now than there was when I was a kid. Rappers release a mixtape every six months and an album every year. Its because the recording process got easier. Cats got computers in their cribs and can make mixtapes without going to a recording studio. But honestly, the stuff I hear on Power 99 in Philly (I live in Trenton) makes me want to throw my radio out the window.

Everybody on this thread seems to be suggesting that rap has grown and evolved and that the new generation of rappers have superior rhyme skills compared to the older rappers, Melle Mel in particular.

Listen to Melle Mel's verses in "The Message" and "Beat Street" and then tell me who has a more advanced style than what Mel was kicking 30 years ago. I'll wait.

In the meanwhile, I enjoy the dialogue but can ya'll refrain from the Ad Hominum attacks.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KRS One tellin the story of him battling Melle Mel

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON 30 Year Old Version Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhh huuhhh huhh
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Who cares what the haters think. He's a pioneer.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't rank Melle Melle. He is godfather.

Jus like kool moe dee, grandmastercaz, busy bee, spoonie g, and super rhymes
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    old 🤬 🤬 . he a pioneer with no longevity. my pops listening to white lines mad me want to try yayo with that corny dont do it 🤬 .