What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Man changes his name from "jose" to "joe" and gets multiple job offers

zerocool
zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

sad world

Comments

• GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    edited September 2014
    White Man's world cuh-cuh. They would like you to have those basic names like, Joseph, Steve, John, and etc that's white sounding.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Privilege is real!
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderMembers, Moderators Posts: 45,690 Regulator
    What a 🤬
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar _Jay_ Members Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Man's world cuh-cuh. They would like you to have those basic names like, Joseph, Steve, John, and etc that's white sounding.

JOSE' is a white man's name, you dumb troll!
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One stew Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    A couple of economists did a study on this a while ago (with black and white-sounding names). Those with white-sounding names got 50% more callbacks. The paper is called "Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination."
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

C S
    Jose is an anglo saxxon spaniard name from Spain.
    But so many Mexicans and latino have that name in america, its not perceived as white, but it is.
    Much like Tyrone which has greek origins and irish origins. But is associated with black ppl in America.

• D0wn
    This also highlights the underlying issue of white supremacy, that 🤬 love to ignore.
    Its not about your name, its about who the name is associated with.
    Jose is a Spanish spaniard euro name. But because its associated with latinos in the states, u see how they perceive a name like Jose.
    That speaks to how evil white ppl are. And how blacks need to create our own businesses to employ our own kind, without them having to jump through hoops.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about white
    It's about anglico background

• Allah_U_Akbar
    D0wn wrote: »

C S
    But so many Mexicans and latino have that name in america, its not perceived as white, but it is.
    Much like Tyrone which has greek origins and irish origins. But is associated with black ppl in America.

They don't hear you, Bruh.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jose is not Anglo Saxon
    You don't know what Anglo Saxon means if you think that
  • A Talented One
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Bruh.

Nobody gives a 🤬 where the name is originally from.

White ppl hear that name and think of "🤬 Mexicans"

Exactly. It's Allah_U_Akbar who's the 🤬 🤬 .
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu Regis The EmpreyanMembers Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Jose is not Anglo Saxon

Word, I was about to comment on that. 🤬 really need to start paying attention in 7th and 9th grade world history. That goes to show you how dumb and prejudice these HR muthafuckas are, because they weren't aware that Zamora was an Latino surname. This is yet another reason as to why these ole 🤬 🤬 need to stop giving their children these 🤬 up names that they pull out of their 🤬 .

• King Ghidorah
    King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya Jose, my name got an ' and 2 capital letters smh
  • D0wn
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Bruh.

Nobody gives a 🤬 where the name is originally from.

White ppl hear that name and think of "🤬 Mexicans"

But but whats the problemo? they stopped giving their kids ghetto sounding names and gave them european names..... But some how, that ain't enough huh????.

• D0wn
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Jose is not Anglo Saxon

W/e, its still white European orgin.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566

C S

You are, so ignorant bruh I mean damn cuh.
  • D0wn

C S

U dont get it, the name isnt the issue, the issue is u, and me and 🤬 like Jose.
    Jose isnt a ghetto 🤬 up name. Its a name of european origin.
    But so many mexicans have it ...
    so what happens when black ppl, start giving our kids european based names ???
    You dont think the same thing won't happen???
    The issue is white supremacy. But u 🤬 🤬 is running from the real problem.
    Its in the name, its in the jeans, its in the sag.... Naw 🤬 its u.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Young King.....pay me in gold Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wondered this when I use to put apps in and I had to wait and eventually didnt get the job was it cause of my name..... im like I thought they said they're hiring.
  • A Talented One
    Tahani Tompkins was struggling to get callbacks for job interviews in the Chicago area this year when a friend made a suggestion: Change your name. Instead of Tahani, a distinctively African-American-sounding name, she began going by T. S. Tompkins in applications.

Yvonne Orr, also searching for work in Chicago, removed her bachelor’s degree from Hampton University, a historically black college, leaving just her master’s degree from Spertus Institute, a Jewish school. She also deleted a position she once held at an African-American nonprofit organization and rearranged her references so the first people listed were not black.

The dueling forces of assimilation and diversity have long battled for primacy in the American experience, most acutely among African-Americans. It’s not clear that assimilation has gained an edge here in the waning days of the decade, but the women’s behavior — “whitening” the résumé — is certainly not isolated. Ms. Tompkins and Ms. Orr were among the more than two dozen college-educated blacks interviewed for an article about racial disparities in hiring published last week on the front page of The New York Times. A half-dozen said they had taken steps to hide their race, or at least dial back the level of “blackness” signaled in their résumés.

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.html?_r=0
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Young King.....pay me in gold Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not changing who I am to appeal to these white people 🤬 them.....think they're better than somebody.
  • D0wn
    Tahani Tompkins was struggling to get callbacks for job interviews in the Chicago area this year when a friend made a suggestion: Change your name. Instead of Tahani, a distinctively African-American-sounding name, she began going by T. S. Tompkins in applications.

Yvonne Orr, also searching for work in Chicago, removed her bachelor’s degree from Hampton University, a historically black college, leaving just her master’s degree from Spertus Institute, a Jewish school. She also deleted a position she once held at an African-American nonprofit organization and rearranged her references so the first people listed were not black.

The dueling forces of assimilation and diversity have long battled for primacy in the American experience, most acutely among African-Americans. It’s not clear that assimilation has gained an edge here in the waning days of the decade, but the women’s behavior — “whitening” the résumé — is certainly not isolated. Ms. Tompkins and Ms. Orr were among the more than two dozen college-educated blacks interviewed for an article about racial disparities in hiring published last week on the front page of The New York Times. A half-dozen said they had taken steps to hide their race, or at least dial back the level of “blackness” signaled in their résumés.

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.html?_r=0
    Name Tahani
    Meaning:Congratulations; best wishes
    Origin:Arabic
    Pronunciation:(tah HAH nee)

White supremacy is a cruel game. College graduated 🤬 with masters, are subjected to whitnening their resume, and dialing black their blackness.....

But but its yo name.
  • LUClEN
    At one point a little Island East of the rest of Europe Damn near ruled the whole world

This is part of the aftermath: Anglo names will get you further than career wise
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    edited September 2014

C S

This coming from a 🤬 who doesn't know the difference between "rapid" and "rampant".

Like I said, 🤬 .....

JOSE' is a masculine given name that originated in a white region... Hence, a white man's name, genius.

Now, stop embarrassing yourself and put me back on ignore, you dumb 🤬 .