What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

College Grads & Ex-Soldiers: Name the hardest part about transitioning into the RW

124»

Comments

• Soulljah T
    Soulljah T Banned Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    It's nice reading people who have had military experience so I know what to expect if my BF goes into the airforce so I can understand it better myself, know how to help, support, understand behaviors and things, be prepared for the 🤬 during and shortly after, etc etc.....
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Back in the day when network admin/engineering was just starting to grow I left college, took a few certification classes, got certified in microsoft and novell with a specialty in email systems and have been writing my own ticket ever since. Back then with a couple certifications you could literally tell a company what they were gonna pay you. Unfortunately a lot of people caught wind of the fact that after studying for a year and getting certified you could cop 50k without even trying and they flooded the industry lol.. Then the tech bubble burst. Luckily I have years and years and years and years of experience so I'm vested. But I do want to finish my degree in case I ever decide to go for a CIO position.
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Co-Signs this thread.

Im still in the Army and planning on retiring, im at my halfway point. But fortunely for my very first supervision was a tough but fair dude.. I came in straight out of Highschool, I was partying and 🤬 with the lil money I had. My supervisor kicked me in the ass, and had me in the education center. Now I got a BS in Information Tech, My N+, S+, and CNNA, all paid for by the Army, The Thing is you gotta used the Military to better yourslef because the Military for sure going to use you. But College, Military or whatever, that piece of paper that use to mean so much back in the days, has little value now. Everybody is getting some kind of degree or certification. You have to get out and grind and put some work in.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    The thing that's so hard about being prior military is the fact that your own buddies don't give you hope. They always tell you to "reenlist; you'll never make it out there." It's kind of bad because if enough people tell you that, you kind of start to believe it. I think that the military makes you feel like you can't make it in the real world without them. But if you take advantage of the g.i. bill, you will at least have the eduation to get out there with a good start.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    jay83 wrote: »
    Loo, Why you keep shittin on Teachers???

In no way am i shittin on teachers. My sons mother is a teacher. I actually think its one of the most honorable professions man, trust me.

sorry if i made it seem that way. i guess my point was that alot of my peers that had no interest in teaching, graduated and couldnt get a job so they became teachers.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    babel wrote: »
    I agree with homie who said college doesn't teach you how to deal with all the classroom issues. There is no class to teach you how to deal with a 2nd grade girl whose 19 yr. old brother is 🤬 her and the day you and the school nurse find out is the last day you'll ever see her. There are no books on how to teach a student who watched her mom get shot by her dad 5 times (she survived) and then blow his own head off in front of them. There are SO many issues that these kids go through that you're left to deal with.

College taught me how to be a teacher. Teaching taught me how to be a father, big brother, uncle, therapist, and person who ties neckties at the 6th grade graduation.

that's deep....*looks at location*....makes sense
  • drunkenone
    drunkenone Members Posts: 173
    edited June 2010
    A lot of heads have dreams of grandeur where they think that once they graduate from college, they'll slide right into a $100k - $250k a year job and all that because they thought they were the 🤬 but get a reality check when they have to start at entry level and work their way up. They think that 🤬 is just like the movies.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    drunkenone wrote: »
    A lot of heads have dreams of grandeur where they think that once they graduate from college, they'll slide right into a $100k - $250k a year job and all that because they thought they were the 🤬 but get a reality check when they have to start at entry level and work their way up. They think that 🤬 is just like the movies.

i dont know many ppl that thought a bachelors would net them 250K

but i sure know that alot of us thought we'd be making more than we are now.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    hardest part is not knowing exactly how to set certain 🤬 in motion that you want to do with your life...though I will say that I have a slight advantage over some other people i know that went to college cuz alot of their schools treated them like children still in terms of having curfews and other 🤬 restrictions that I think hinder you from being able to prepare yourself from handling certain "real life" situations...my school pretty much taught you how to do for your damn self...you were left to your own to either fail or succeed on your own merit
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    deadeye wrote: »
    That's got to be a hard decision to make if you've got your heart set on leaving the military.

With the way the economy is now, going from a guaranteed paycheck to possibly being unemployed???

On the surface it sounds like your friends are trying to hold you back but, depending on your situation, they may actually be giving you good advice; whether they intended to or not.

@ the underlined

you basically have to do what works for you

cause nothing is guaranteed, even being in the military................nothing is saying you can't get hurt, or work for a boss that is a 🤬 and can 🤬 up ya life

you better off taking a risk to do what you want to do, cause then even if stuff doesn't work out, you at least had no regrets

that's what I was saying about the mofos in the military cause they want to be vs. if they have to be

cause the military has a mindset to make you shook so they can keep numbers up: only mofos winning and still serving in the military are the ones who actually want to be there

the ones who are there cause they have to be are usually the ones struggling in the military :shrugs

so if deep down inside if you want to get out, then 🤬 what everybody else says..........GTFOH champ and don't be kool-aid hearted about it LOL
  • Real Lady
    Real Lady Banned Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    I think the problem is too many people go to college with a fad mind and have no real purpose for going then they expect the paper to do mircales. At the end of the day, life is a hustle and you got to hustle your degree like a product. 99% of the people will not work in the field they get a degree for. 99% of employers do not care what your degree is in. It's all about connections and the gift of gab, the paper just get you a couple of dollars more than the rest.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Failure is success in progress! Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    jay83 wrote: »
    Would you want to go back in as an officer?

What are you doing when you get out?

I am going back in as a officer. At least that is the plan.

I am going back to school for my Master's and hopefully getting a pretty good job. The ATL has plenty of jobs around here. But my ultimate is to get start my own business. 🤬 a job!
  • destro1
    destro1 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    What age do you leave College/Uni over in the US then?
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Real Lady wrote: »
    I think the problem is too many people go to college with a fad mind and have no real purpose for going then they expect the paper to do mircales. At the end of the day, life is a hustle and you got to hustle your degree like a product. 99% of the people will not work in the field they get a degree for. 99% of employers do not care what your degree is in. It's all about connections and the gift of gab, the paper just get you a couple of dollars more than the rest.

This ^^^^^^^^^
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    babel wrote: »
    I agree with homie who said college doesn't teach you how to deal with all the classroom issues. There is no class to teach you how to deal with a 2nd grade girl whose 19 yr. old brother is 🤬 her and the day you and the school nurse find out is the last day you'll ever see her. There are no books on how to teach a student who watched her mom get shot by her dad 5 times (she survived) and then blow his own head off in front of them. There are SO many issues that these kids go through that you're left to deal with.

College taught me how to be a teacher. Teaching taught me how to be a father, big brother, uncle, therapist, and person who ties neckties at the 6th grade graduation.

Amen bruh, amen. It's so damn tough in the trenches. The problems these kids have to deal with nowadays are crazy. Sure when I was young we had to dodge the dealer and the dope fiend, AIDS and perhaps the occassional kidnapper. BUt in this day and age w/ technology, the state of the economy and the moral of society on the decline it's gonna take those who truely care to give there all and a whole lot more. Props to you for stepping up bruh.
  • new account2
    new account2 Members Posts: 1,469
    edited June 2010
    @ the underlined

you basically have to do what works for you

cause nothing is guaranteed, even being in the military................nothing is saying you can't get hurt, or work for a boss that is a 🤬 and can 🤬 up ya life

you better off taking a risk to do what you want to do, cause then even if stuff doesn't work out, you at least had no regrets

that's what I was saying about the mofos in the military cause they want to be vs. if they have to be

cause the military has a mindset to make you shook so they can keep numbers up: only mofos winning and still serving in the military are the ones who actually want to be there

the ones who are there cause they have to be are usually the ones struggling in the military :shrugs

so if deep down inside if you want to get out, then 🤬 what everybody else says..........GTFOH champ and don't be kool-aid hearted about it LOL

100% true...if your heart aint in the military, leave.........the military aint a place to hang around if you on a fence or your heart aint into it.....

and mafuckas swear the outside is so rough......LOL...its funny lookin at it now...........
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    destro1 wrote: »
    What age do you leave College/Uni over in the US then?

generally 22-24
  • junegemini
    junegemini With ya daddyMembers Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    for a college grad, the hard part is looking for a job...thats a job in itself :(
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited June 2010
    junegemini wrote: »
    for a college grad, the hard part is looking for a job...thats a job in itself :(

a month before i graduated college, i went to my bosses house. she lived in the woodlands, a very nice suburb of houston.

her husband told me something that stuck with me:

"If you are not applying to twenty jobs a day, you are not looking for a job."
  • drunkenone
    drunkenone Members Posts: 173
    edited June 2010
    My old college advisor put it to me this way; he said "College is not here to teach you, you have to teach yourself. We give you fancy theories and scenarios but you'll find out that a lot of them have no application in the real world. We give you the tools to think for and educate yourself but without the ambition and hustle to make it work, a college degree makes a good door mat if you get it laminated." Real talk.
  • spc4mack
    spc4mack Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Thing the is with the Military is if you are going to get out, you have to have a plan. I was in the army for 4 years. I went in after high school with the intent on getting my G.I Bill money and getting outta NY for awhile. After i got out of my partying stage i started to plan for my ETS. When i was a year out i started applying to colleges in the NY area and found the one i wanted. During this time the Battery Commander sat me down and talked to me about reinlisting. I had already talked to the reinlistment NCO and they weren't offering 🤬 . I told the BC my plan and showed him my college paperwork and there was nothing he could say. i had everything covered. I got out the Army in July and i was in class at my school at the end of Aug. I graduated with a jornalism degree and then went to another school to learn Computer service and support. After that 18 month course i got my first IT job and i never looked back. Im now a Network Admin and A+, Net +, Microsoft certified and studying to become Microsoft Exchange certified. The good thing is i didn't pay a dime for all the education i got. Thanks for that Uncle Sam.

Like most here said, it ain't easy but if you have a good plan stick to it you can make it when you get out.
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    spc4mack wrote: »
    Thing the is with the Military is if you are going to get out, you have to have a plan. I was in the army for 4 years. I went in after high school with the intent on getting my G.I Bill money and getting outta NY for awhile. After i got out of my partying stage i started to plan for my ETS. When i was a year out i started applying to colleges in the NY area and found the one i wanted. During this time the Battery Commander sat me down and talked to me about reinlisting. I had already talked to the reinlistment NCO and they weren't offering 🤬 . I told the BC my plan and showed him my college paperwork and there was nothing he could say. i had everything covered. I got out the Army in July and i was in class at my school at the end of Aug. I graduated with a jornalism degree and then went to another school to learn Computer service and support. After that 18 month course i got my first IT job and i never looked back. Im now a Network Admin and A+, Net +, Microsoft certified and studying to become Microsoft Exchange certified. The good thing is i didn't pay a dime for all the education i got. Thanks for that Uncle Sam.

Like most here said, it ain't easy but if you have a good plan stick to it you can make it when you get out.

Novell Groupwise FTW!!!! LOL.. I was just telling my friend yesterday that if you go in the military you have to go in with a plan on how to work it for your advantage and STICK with that plan. Go in and use the resources available to help you when you get out.. Props on that...
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    🤬 i dropped outta college almost 10 years ago after going for 4 years

What took a minute to get used to was how women act in college compared to the real world. Basically pretty much everyone in college is broke for the most part. So the girls you holler at ain't tripping that you're not balling because you're all students. Everyone has a chance with dimes if you got game and are confident whatever.

But 🤬 the day you aren't in college anymore women in real life wanna know how much you're making a year and 🤬 . This is the aspect that took a minute to adjust to.

Im actually going back to school in august to finish up my last 2 semesters.
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited June 2010
    i recently got my associates in science in may? i'm continuing to persue my bachelors in electrical engineering in the fall. any advice about getting interships with no electrical engineering classes taken yet? also, with anyone out there in the engineering field, how is the job market looking now/next few years?